Our attorneys offer the knowledge and experience to guide you or your company throughout the appellate process, whether you are pursuing the appeal as an Appellant or defending as an Appellee.
If our firm already represented you at the trial level, we carefully considered during that time how best to identify and preserve all issues for appeal. If you are seeking our assistance for the first time at the appellate stage, we will carefully review the record to identify all issues on appeal, and then assess the viability of each of those issues. In either scenario, our appellate attorneys will provide you with an honest assessment of the likelihood of success on appeal, an important factor to consider, and one that may lead to satisfactory settlement at the appellate stage.
Our attorneys have handled appeals in several federal and state court systems and are admitted to the First and Second Circuits, the Federal Circuit, as well as the Supreme Court of the United States. One of our Attorneys has been named by the American Lawyer as one of the top Appellate Attorneys in Boston (2014) and nationally (2015).
We have successfully handled appeals at the Second, Third, and Eighth Circuit involving complex securities and transactional matters. In each instance, we have prevailed at the District Court level and Appellate Court level.
- Achieved vacation by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals of a District of Connecticut decision of dismissal due to arbitrability in a contract dispute case.
- Successful settlement in connection with representation of a financial industry corporation in contract dispute involving a novel area of arbitration law, attaining rejection of a magistrate judge’s recommended ruling by the Southern District of New York, reversed on appeal by the Second Circuit.
- Retained at the oral argument stage in complex tax litigation appeal.
- Represented the patent-holder in a patent infringement case currently pending before the Federal Circuit.
- Represented judgment creditor in appeal currently pending before the First Circuit in a case involving unique issues arising out of judicial assignment of causes of action.
- Obtained Appellate Court of Connecticut ruling that there is no jurisdiction over custodian of retirement investment accounts without any other substantial interaction with Connecticut residents.
- Successfully argued an appeal of the Banking Commissioner’s decision denying clients’ rights to purchase hundreds of thousands of new bank shares.
- Retained to press claim concerning election law to Connecticut Supreme Court.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection to an appeal concerning PIPE investment before the Second Circuit.
- Represented a private equity fund in a tax matter before the United States Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented a hedge fund broker-dealer in dispute over investment banking fees involving merger of insurance companies before the Eighth Circuit.
- Represented a large broker-dealer in connection with fee dispute and bankruptcy jurisdictional issues at the Third Circuit
- Represented the founders of a Greenwich-based hedge fund in connection with the appeal of the jury verdict obtained at trial at Second Circuit.
- Successfully represented the defendant in connection to a jurisdictional appeal to the Connecticut Appellate Court.