Our firm represents local and national clients in litigation in state and federal court as well as in mediation/arbitration around the country.
Our attorneys are highly skilled, creative and motivated litigators who have built a record of considerable success in complex matters in arbitration, at trial and on appeal at all levels of state and federal courts. One of our attorneys has been named one of the top litigators in the country by The American Lawyer magazine. Among others, we represent one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, one of the largest retail-based private equity firms, and one of the largest financial institutions in the world, all in commercial litigation, totaling over 100 cases since the firm’s founding for these clients alone.
- Successful settlement in connection with representation of a financial industry corporation in contract dispute involving a novel area of arbitration law, attaining rejection of a magistrate judge’s recommended ruling by the Southern District of New York, reversed on appeal by the Second Circuit.
- Successfully defended one of the nation’s largest convertible securities and arbitrage trading firms in an arbitration compelled by the Second Circuit. Claims included violations of the NASD Rules of Fair Practice, vexatious litigation, fraud on the United States Copyright Office, tortious interference with business, unfair competition under the Trademark Act of 1946, common law unfair competition, statutory unfair trade practices, misappropriation of business assets and trade secrets, copyright and trademark infringement, raiding, and various additional statutory claims. The parties’ aggregate damage claims exceeded $70 million. Actively participated in all 180 arbitration sessions. Obtained Appellate Court of Connecticut ruling that there is no jurisdiction over custodian of retirement investment accounts without any other substantial interaction with Connecticut residents.
- Represented a real estate exchange company and its founder in a billion-dollar claim against a top-five investment bank and an AmLaw Top 30 law firm arising from alleged perjury and evidence concealment that led to two federal criminal convictions of the founder.
- Successfully argued appeal of Banking Commissioner’s Decision denying clients’ rights to purchase hundreds of thousands of new bank shares.
- Represented a large national retail bank in over 100 cases.
- Represented one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies in national litigation involving its historical products.
- Successfully represented a regional bank in $75 million asset-based lending dispute with syndicate.
- Represented one of the largest insurance companies in the world in connection with a dispute over its stock option plan.
- Represented leading national mortgage lender in $100 million civil penalties case brought by Connecticut Attorney General.
- Regularly represent investors and depositors in bank conversion litigation.
- Represented third party service providers in national class actions involving the valuation of residential mortgage securities.
- Represented a large custodial bank in connection with $4.6 billion matter brought by the SEC. Claims involved right to indemnification in connection with liquidation of $40 billion money market fund.
- Represented multibillion-dollar venture fund in connection with claims of breach of fiduciary duty and oppression of minority shareholder rights in New York Supreme Court. Claims centered upon a second round investment in a well-known Internet company.
- Represented a leading broker of credit derivative swaps in connection with FINRA investigation into purported collusive action in the setting of pricing by CDS brokerage industry. Representation received substantial press.
- Successfully defended against multiple rounds of dispositive motions seeking the dismissal of a complaint filed in California State Court against certain former officers and directors of a publicly traded company, as well as prevailed in motion practice seeking the dismissal of certain of defendants’ counterclaims.
- Represented a broker-dealer in connection with FINRA and State Court cases involving residential mortgage backed securities.
- Represented a large broker-dealer in connection with claims concerning investment banking fees of the largest iron ore mine in North America, FINRA, and in the District of Delaware.
- Represented multi billion dollar private equity firm in connection with claims against a national bank in the Supreme Court of New York.
- Represent the minority shareholder of a construction management company in connection with claims against a billionaire real estate mogul in Stamford Superior Court and in two related bankruptcies filed in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Successfully represented a national investment banking firm in connection with claims arising from a derivative rights holder agreement and related investment banking engagement agreements in the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. The claims involved investment banking fees owed to our client following a series of insurance corporate mergers.
- Represented a national investment banking firm in connection with claims brought by former director and officer of a subsidiary.